Do I need a license/permit to sell homemade beverages?


I am starting up a small business that produces non-alcoholic beverages (kombucha to be exact). Due to financial constraints I would like to start off at home. My property is in a residential zone and I have a big storeroom I plan to convert into a mini factory. Products will be bottled and shipped to retailers, nothing will be served on site. Do I need a business licence?

Share your thoughts

1 Comment

You can engage with this forum by logging in or creating your FREE Food Focus account now.

Adele Krogh - 1 year ago

Good day yes you will need a Certificate of Acceptability because your are going to make a beverage that will be consumed by people. But before that you first need to get permission from your Local municipal - Town planning Department to determine if you can have a business from your residential home - suggestion make contact with your Environmental Health Practitioner in your area. Hope this will help.